This very quickly because I’m busy, man.
1. This is a fun, yet poignant, article on [not] being a famous writer, and how humbling the biz can be.
2. I am all about Larry Brooks and his storyfixing en ce moment. Doesn’t matter if you are a ‘pantser’ or not, this rings the bells of truth and prophecy I have to say. It’s still a fucking mind-bend to try to insert your project into this kind of engineering tool, but in terms of clarity of purpose, and being overall helpful, to me it’s better than other ones I’ve seen:
3. This is an article on fragmented novels versus linearly-structured ones. Interesting.
4. Just found this one, about the current thangs in publishing and how freaking hard it all is, and how some people say more telling, less showing, while others say no, more showing you noob. And then some people say, less dialogue, it’s too much telling (and how those people don’t really know what they are talking about.)
5. I loved AM Homes’s novel May We Be Forgiven. It’s one of my top 3 reads for the last few years I’d say. Here she is (audio) at the recent Sydders Writers’ Festival. I haven’t listened to it yet, that’s how busy I am today.
6. Haven’t read this one either, but I’ll get there. It’s about editing your own work. Get to it.
7. Another Homes one. Jo Case article reflecting on Toni Jordan’s chat with AM at The Wheeler Centre.
8. This might be no good, again I haven’t read it (why are you putting links without vetting them, you may ask. I don’t know, I would answer. To do a post?) But it’s on villains. These links are where my browsing has taken me the last few days. I need to close some windows on my computer.
9. For people persisting with the FALSE notion that Hemingway said write drunk, edit sober, I’ve read about five biographies on the man and he always held off drinking until he’d stopped working, usually the evening. He was quite disciplined. Plus, this from reddit:
10. This is a blog post about literary houses:
11. Another article, this time on Darwin and
Finally, because I can’t finish on an odd number, just like I can’t have the television remote volume on anything but even, here is number 12.
12. Last night I purchased this online and it’s headed my way. Today, I’m not sure…
Obviously without the fingerless gloves and with less Dommy shoes. Part of the problem is I’m not very gothic. The other part of the problem is I can get carried away. Also, this:
What idiot would buy a skirt without looking at the front view.
[takes a bow]
Have a good weekend. Don’t buy any skirts without checking the front view, okay?