I’m having some trouble with my website here. A wonderful wonderful designer is doing things with it to make it better but I managed to muck it up a bit by fiddling. So bear with me/us as I/we get it how I want it.
But for now. A list:
- I am reading Bruce Pascoe’s DARK EMU. It’s showing me how bloody ignorant I am about this country and the history of it before the whites arrived. A lot of people on twitter have been saying to read it in the lead-up to 26 January and I am doing just that.
- I finished reading Christy Collins’s marvellous luminous deft THE END OF SEEING. I recommend vociferously.
- My reading this year, I am planning to read hard books and books I’ve had on my shelves for a long time. I’m more than half-way through CRIME AND PUNISHMENT as well. I also want to read HHhH as we went to the museum/church in Prague that features in the opening pages of Binet’s book.
- My trip OS was great. I feel very lucky to have seen and experienced some amazing things. Highlights were the Faberge eggs at the Kremlin in Moscow and at the Winter Palace in St Petersburg. Krakow was also a major highlight. Russian trains are the best. Helsinki’s Suomenlinna Island – a sort ferry trip from the dock – is a beautiful rugged cold place. Was great to see a few more things in Prague, but happy to be home to my routines and family. Staying put for a while though now.
- Although in April I have a residency at Bundanon to work on my 4th novel manuscript, working title swings between CIRCUS MAXIMUS and ARCADIA. I am in early stages of that one. It’s a messy beast to be sure, and mostly exists in my head.
- In March — 21st March to be precise — my second novel is published. LITTLE GODS has a cover and has some lovely endorsements that I feel I don’t deserve. It has been sent to print and the best word to describe all of this, in terms of how I’m feeling, is ‘precarious’. You can read more about LGs here. (Bear in mind the synoptic material I have a hand in. All the glowing flattering complimentary stuff, that’s not me.)
- In May I’m off to another residency, this time in Varuna. I feel very spoiled by the residency application gods this year. At Varuna I’ll be working on my 3rd novel – working title for that one is THE SEVEN EXPULSIONS. It’s about a woman whose life falls apart over the course of a week.
- Intending to schedule some more Bad Diary Salons across the year. With new readers, new themes, new venues.